The Benefits of Life Skills Training During Recovery
Most of the addicts find it quite hard to re-enter their normal life after they complete their drug treatment. Addicts may have forgotten the basic necessities of life and they may not be able to cope with the day-to-day life. They need training and guidance to help them learn a specific set of skills needed to get through life. This is when ‘Life Skills Training’ program comes into play. This program helps addicts learn the life skills which addicts never learned or probably forgot in the midst of addiction. However, many people are not fully aware of what life skills training is and how this program can help addicts in getting through recovery.
What is Life Skills Training?
Life Skills Training is a classroom-based prevention program. This program is universal and helps to prevent adolescent tobacco, alcohol, marijuana use, violence and basically any type of addiction. In simpler words, this program helps addicts to step back into the day-to-day life without having stress on their minds. This program is used as a relapse prevention skill to help the addict face the challenges of life. This program is basically categorized in two major parts.
- Personal Life Skills.
- Relational Life Skills.
In personal life skills, the basic necessities are taught such as grocery shopping, personal hygiene, financial planning etc. In relational skills, the addicts learn how to cope with solving issues, time management etc.
Life Skills Training in Early Soberness:
- For addicts in the early stages, life skills training program helps in achieving independence and helps in being organized.
- Life Skills Training help you stay focused on how to cope with the daily necessities of life.
- This program is important in the initial stages as it helps in setting goals for the future.
- Finding employment, making financial plans or creating the budget is made easier with life skills training.
- It can also help in establishing relationships and re-pairing broken ones.
- Life skills training in the earlier stages can help boost confidence.
- Through continuous counseling, drug addicts can gain a sense of empowerment and financial independence.
Life Skills Training in Long-Term Soberness:
- In the long run, life skills training program can help addicts gain an insight on how they have to live their day-to-day life.
- A set of necessary processing skills to cope with different challenges in life are offered through life skills training program.
- Addicts grow confident in learning and facing new things and they learn how to ask for things they need.
- They learn skills which help them in creating new strong relationships and help them in their employment career.
- Basically, those addicts who have received counseling for long-term soberness, they gain the ability to tackle anything life throws at them.
As we conclude, it would be safe to say that individuals who undergo life skills training program are more likely to blend in their day-to-day life easily and faster. At Right Path Drug Rehab, all of our customized addiction treatment programs include life skills training to prepare our clients for life after treatment. Call us to speak with an intake coordinator about the right program for you or a loved one.